Even though internet connection services (cable, mobile data or cellular data) are constantly improving and helping users update iOS with a WiFi connection, sometimes users need to know how to make an iOS update without WiFi.
In this guide, readers will learn how to update iOS without WiFi. First, all the methods in the iOS software update process will be covered, and then readers will dive deeper into the precautions that must be taken to get the latest iOS version without Wi-Fi.
The best methods to update iOS without a proper WiFi connection are given below. Keep in mind that some methods to update without WiFi may not work for some users. Keep trying the other methods to find the one that works.
Method 1: Use a Personal Hotspot to Get an Internet Connection and Update iOS
This download iOS update method requires that the user has a spare smartphone device.
Essentially, users need to set up a personal hotspot on the spare device and then connect the iPhone device with the personal hotspot of the spare device. The iPhone device will consider the newly created personal hotspot as a legitimate WiFi connection and will use the connection to get software updates and the latest firmware.
The steps to update the iOS system to the latest version without Wi-Fi are given below.
- Turn on the iPhone spare phone and go to the Settings app.
- Click on “Mobile data.”
- Click “Personal Hotspot.”
- Turn on Mobile data.
- Go to the other device that needs to be updated to newer iOS versions. Tap on Settings.
- Tap on WiFi.
- Connect to the personal hotspot created via the spare device to get a stable Wi-Fi connection and start the updating process.
- Once the iPhone that needs iOS updates has access to a Wi-Fi network (via the hotspot), users should go to the Settings menu on that iPhone device.
- Then, tap on “General.”
- Go to “Software Update.”
- The iPhone should check for iOS updates (the latest version is iOS 15 at the time of writing) as well as any other additional requirements for the new iOS update, such as ensuring there’s enough storage and compatibility in the standard mode.
There are some precautions users should take to ensure the download and installation process goes smoothly. First, users should make sure the device providing the WiFi via a personal hotspot has enough data plan usage. Then, the device that needs updates should also have enough space. Also, pay attention to the device’s battery levels to make sure there is no data loss while updating iOS.
Method 2: Update iOS via iTunes Without Wi-Fi or Mobile Data
iPhone users don’t even need mobile data (let alone WiFi) to update iOS when the iTunes application is available on other devices.
To update iOS, users first need to install iTunes on a Windows computer. Then, users need to backup existing data and launch the iTunes application.
Data backup is essential for users trying to manually apply new iOS update packages without using mobile data or using cellular data via a computer with an internet connection (can be through a WiFi network) and iTunes installed.
The steps users should take to download iPhone updates via a computer and iTunes are given below.
- Use a USB cable to connect the iPhone device to the Windows PC with iTunes. A successful connection should show a device icon in the bottom-right corner of the Windows device. But even if there isn’t an icon, proceed to the next step.
- Open iTunes, enable the iPhone connection and click on the device icon in the top-left corner of the iTunes window.
- Go to “Summary.”
- Click “Check for Updates.”
- Click “Download and Update.”
After the download and update process is completed, disconnect the USB cord from the iPhone device and the Windows computer.
The method above is the most efficient method to complete an iOS update file download quickly.
Method 3: Update iPhone Devices With Cellular Data
Using an unstable Wi-Fi connection to update iOS and get new features doesn’t have to be difficult, especially when there is cellular data available.
To get started, make sure the cellular data is turned on. After that, the steps to follow to update iPhone are given below:
- Go to Settings (after ensuring cellular data is on).
- Tap “General.”
- Tap “Software Update.”
- Allow some time for the device to update iPhone without WiFi.
- If there is an iOS update available (such as iOS 15), users should click the “Download and Install” button. Some iPhone devices allow users to separate the download and install processes where the user can download the file needed to update iOS now but install the software update without WiFi later.
Users trying to get the latest iOS version through the method above should know that iPhone devices usually show a black screen during the update process and only display the Apple logo. Users will have to wait for a bit to allow the iPhone device to finish the installation and restart process.
Method 4: Update iOS via iOS System Recovery Mode
Many iPhone tips rely on a third-party professional tool or service. Users of Apple Inc.-branded products may be asking: Which third-party tool do I need to update my iPhone?
iOS users can use any reputable iOS system recovery program available on famous media sites such as Tenorshare, PhoneGeek and Fixppo.
The steps to update with a third-party tool are given below.
- Pick a good iOS recovery tool, install the program on a Windows PC and then launch the app.
- In the standard mode, use a USB cable to connect the iPhone to the Windows computer.
Sometimes the iPhone smartphone is not recognized; in that case, switch to the recovery mode or DFU.
- Most iOS data recovery tools can automatically detect the iOS device and show users the available updates automatically. Once the user clicks the Download option, such tools take over the entire installation process and show users a “SUCCESSFUL” message when they update iPhone without WiFi.
Method 5: Update iOS Without WiFi via a Web Interface
This method to update iPhone without WiFi requires the user to download iOS update via a corresponding IPSW file.
The steps to get the IPSW file and update to the latest iOS version are outlined below.
- Go to www.ipsw.me and click on the iPhone button to then find the IPSW file for the exact iPhone model that needs to update iOS without WiFi. As always, users should make sure the iPhone has sufficient space and battery level to start and finish the download/installation process.
- Once the IPSW file has been downloaded, launch iTunes.
- From the iTunes application, go to the device’s screen by clicking the smartphone icon, hold Shift and then click on “Update.” This will allow the iTunes app to ask for the IPSW.
- Pick the downloaded IPSW file to allow iTunes to update iOS without WiFi.
Which iOS Versions Are Supported by Third-Party Recovery Tools?
A good third-party recovery tool should be able to support iOS 15, iOS 14, iOS 13 and iOS 12 to download the latest version of iOS without using cellular data or using mobile data. Of course, users should ensure that the computer the iPhone is connected to has access to the internet. A computer without internet access cannot download iOS 15 or an even older iOS version.
Can I Use Any Third-Party Recovery Tool to Update My iPhone Without WiFi?
No. Users should make sure the third-party professional tool comes from a reputable distribution source and known developer.
What Is the Easiest Way to Update an iPhone?
The easiest way to update an iPhone is to connect to a WiFi network and go through the software update process via the Settings menu.
Does iPhone Require a Wi-Fi Network to Update?
Yes, some iOS editions require the user to have a valid Wi-Fi network connection before the update process can begin.
But even in the later versions of iOS, users can reliably update without WiFi by using the iTunes application on a computer.
- How to Pair a Vizio TV to Bluetooth Speakers – Quick and Easy - March 28, 2022
- How to Update iPhone Without WiFi - March 17, 2022
- What Is the Need for Businesses to Invest Hiring Java Development? - March 14, 2022